Upon her death in 1890, Elizabeth Speckman of Breese left nine acres of land and $1,500 for a hospital. The parishioners of St. Dominic Catholic Church took up the cause and seven years later, a 2-1/2 story brick facility was completed at the cost of $18,000.
When that building became outdated in the 1960s, the community again rose to the challenge, donating $650,000 toward a new $3.8 million 103-bed facility built on land donated by two brothers, George and John Otke.
The Friends of St. Joseph’s was established in 1989 to coordinate fundraising and seek contributions. Their efforts assure the availability of future health care services by underwriting the costs of programs, services and state-of-the-art medical equipment.
A division of the Hospital Sisters of St. Francis Foundation, the Friends of St. Joseph’s is a non-profit organization under the 501(C)(3) federal tax code. All contributions are tax deductible in accordance with Internal Revenue Service regulations. Donations may be made payable to the Friends of St. Joseph ‘s Hospital, Breese.